SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
Experienced information professional and software instructor. Skilled in research, writing, database design, spreadsheet analysis, statistics, and integrated presentation of text and graphics.
Certified Microsoft Office Specialist: Excel (expert), Word (expert) Acess (core).
Also proficient in PowerPoint, Outlook, Visual Basic/VBA, Java, HTML, PHP, MySQL, Lotus Notes, Adobe PageMaker, Oracle PL/SQL.
Adjunct Faculty • De Anza College, Cupertino, CA
- Teach course in Cultural Geography. Developed website for student online access to course materials.
Adjunct Faculty • College of San Mateo, San Mateo, CA
- Teach courses in Microsoft Excel, Intro to Microcomputers, Intro to Internet
Instructor • San Mateo County Regional Occupational Program, Redwood City, CA
- Taught courses in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Computerized Office Careers to adult and high school students. Created online tutorials to assist students in learning to use the mouse and Windows dialog boxes. Currently developing online MS Excel course.
Database Manager • Kaiser Permanente, Redwood City, CA
- Developed automated reporting system for California Division Nursing Workforce Initiative. Wrote data migration programs to extract data from character-based email system and Lotus Notes-based database. Wrote Microsoft Visual Basic programs to import data into Access database and control output and formatting of reports in Access, Excel, and Word. Developed procedures for identifying and correcting errors in imported data. (Note: position was originally on assignment from Bradford Staff, Palo Alto, CA, and was subsequently converted to direct Kaiser position.)
Instructor< • Computer Business College, Daly City, CA
- Taught courses in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Lotus 1-2-3, dBase, WordPerfect in both a lecture/lab and self-paced tutorial environment.
Urban Planner • Naphtali H. Knox & Associates, Menlo Park, CA
- Assisted California cities in preparing and adopting general plans to meet the requirements of State law and the needs of the community. Researched demographics, land use, economic conditions, regional trends, and current planning law. Wrote background reports incorporating Excel charts and spreadsheets. Worked with city councils, planning departments, and citizen advisory committees to outline and write final plans. Presented background reports and plans at public hearings. Worked with graphic artists on formatting and production of final published reports in MS Word and PageMaker.
- Administered federal housing assistance program for first time homebuyers (Mortgage Credit Certificate program) through contract with Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. Developed database system (FileMaker Pro, Lotus 1-2-3) for tracking buyers and reporting statistics to participating cities and counties. Advertised and promoted the program to local governments, realtors, lenders, and home buyers.
Legal Assistant • Remcho, Johansen & Purcell, San Leandro, CA
- Organized computer indexing and information retrieval system for major death penalty case. Researched demographics and voting patterns for use in legal challenges to state and federal reapportionment plans. Analyzed employment data to monitor progress in meeting goals of consent decree in employment discrimination case. Researched historic trends and current best practices in school finance equalization and school safety issues. Evaluated, selected, and installed computer hardware and software. Trained new employees in use of computer software.
Master of Arts and Bachelor of Arts in Geography and Human Environmental Studies, San Francisco State University. Masters Thesis: Geography of Public Finance in San Mateo County, CA. Thesis was a historical and statistical analysis of public financing trends (pre- and post Proposition 13) in 20 cities. Winner of the Pease Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Geography.
Other research included: using ARC/Info to analyze job/housing balance in Emeryville, CA and for site suitability analysis for bicycle hostels in the Santa Cruz Mountains; field study and historic records analysis of patterns of residential development in Cupertino, CA; programming dynamic simulation of population growth in El Salvador.
Non-major course work at San Francisco State included introductory and intermediate micro and macro economics, urban economics, statistics, econometrics, financial accounting, managerial accounting.
Additional course work at Ca�da College includes Visual Basic and Java programming and Introduction to Oracle PL/SQL.
Member of the American Planning Association
Member of the Redwood City Housing and Human Concerns Committee, 1990-1995. Member of the City Center Action Committee, 1989-1990. Member of Peninsula Folk Music Society, 1989-1998. Volunteer performer for Bread and Roses concerts in hospitals and nursing homes.